Frequently Asked Questions

Which networks are relevant for PhD students?

StuFF is the student union for students at Educational Sciences and Faculty of Arts & Sciences at Linköping University. Join them if you want to support us financially.

LinTek is the Union of Technology and Science Students at Linköping University. Join them if you want to support us financially.

Consensus is the student union at the faculty of Health Sciences at Linköping University and Norrköping

DOMFIL is the post-grad (PhD) section for the Faculty of Health Sciences at Linköping University. We collaborate with DOMFIL on events like the Nobeldinner.

The LiU Junior Faculty is a network for postdoctoral researchers and teachers at the university with a focus on career perspectives for young researchers. They sometimes offer events that are also open for PhD students.

SFS-DK is a committee in SFS, the united Swedish student unions, which works on questions that concern doctoral students. The aim of SFS-DK is to enable SFS to influence the development of research education, research and the general conditions of doctoral students in Sweden.

What are my rights as an employee?

SULF is the Swedish Association of University Teachers, researchers and doctoral candidates. SULF is involved in negotiating the conditions for doctoral students and in influencing the development of higher education and research in general.

Occupational Health is managed by Feelgood, an external provider. This means that as LiU employee, you can get one anonymous assessment visit per year to address work-related problems (mental, ergonomic, etc).

The Student Health Care Center offers advice and support to students who have physical or mental health problems. Their resources are mainly directed at students, but they provide general resources for dealing with stress and anxiety and for studying at home.

For questions about equality, discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment and victimisation, contact the Equal opportunities representatives at your department.

I am new in Sweden, what are useful resources?

The Swedish Tax Agency manages civil registration of private individuals and collects taxes such as personal income tax, corporate tax, VAT and excise tax. This is where you register to get a personnummer and where you will pay your taxes.

1177 (elva-sjuttiosju) provides all health-related information. You can find doctors and therapists and the website provides lots of information about healthcare and diseases. You can also book appointments for contraception prescriptions. You can call 1177 to speak to a nurse (in English, if you prefer). The system works with a telephone queue, so ring early to get a spot in this queue.

Försäkringskassan pays out different benefits, e.g. when you are sick or have children. You can order the European Health Insurance Card on their webpage.

SFI offers free language classes for all immigrants who want to learn Swedish

A group organizing social events for people who want to practice their Swedish.

Folkuniversitetet is an adult educational association that offers a wide range of adult education all over Sweden. They offer all kinds of courses (most courses are over one semester) in music, dance, crafts, languages but also photography or finances.